Skip to main content

Office Feature- Sarah Dyke


This week we are shining our spotlight on our very own West Virginia gal! You all know her, love her, and frequently see her out and about representing our Split Second Sound name! Her creativity, thought, and effort she puts into each one of our events is unmatched! Not only does she work with each bride and groom to ensure they have the perfectly matched DJ and tunes for their wedding day, but she also contributes to the light-hearted fun in the office environment. Sarah, our Brand & Event Manager, has worked at Split Second Sound for almost two years and handles the event planning, sales, branding, and networking. Sarah moved to Charlotte two years ago for a job she ended up hating because she was limited in creativity and had no social interaction. A friend of Sarah’s reached out to Vinny to see if he knew of anyone hiring to get back into the industry she loves, and Vinny set up what was supposed to be a short phone call with him to see what she was about. Sarah says, “Vinny and I talked for over an hour and then he brought me into the office to interview with SSS instead of passing me on. We met for THREE HOURS during that time and just instantly clicked and vibed off each other. I went through more interviews meeting Diane, the other office staff, and even some of the DJs to make sure I was a good match - I like to think I was ;)” Sarah loves the true friendships she has formed while being in this industry. Sarah says, “Whether through SSS specifically, NACE, or just other events here and there, everyone has been so sweet to me, and they are people I get excited to see and talk to!”


Before Split Second Sound was lucky enough to have Sarah join our team, she worked in the Event Industry. Throughout Graduate School at Marshall University, Sarah planned all events for the students and the community. She created the “FEST” music festival at Marshall. This is where she got her start in the planning industry as she oversaw this festival from start to finish. Sarah created an estimated budget, possible venues, possible artists, and more and took it straight to the President’s and Dean’s office to present the idea. Once it was approved, she got straight to work. Sarah says, “The adrenaline rush from organizing it all & handling the day of with security, fire codes, ticket sales, and dealing with diva artists was an unreal feeling. I knew I wanted to stay in the music field no matter what I did.”


Sarah believes that SSS is a top contender in the industry because we never copy! “From the beginning, this company is about not just thinking outside of the box, but thinking like there isn’t even a box there. Go big or go home. I think the same way in sales, event planning, and networking,” Sarah said. Split Second Sound has many characteristics that make us stand out as the best. We are about more than just music here. We create an experience for each client from the initial inquiry and guide them through the process from beginning to end. We invite each couple to come in and sit down with us so we can discuss our packages and the details of their wedding day! Couples have a great experience from beginning to end. As an added bonus, our detailed online planner guarantees that each DJ can customize every detail for each couple. Sarah says, “The little details such as speaker placement, personalization of music, avoiding cheesy cookie cutter songs, and strong family values of all employees have played a tremendous role in SSS lasting so long in this industry.”


Each person in our company plays a role in making SSS a top contender, but being one big family means more to us than anything. When asked about Sarah’s motivation in keeping SSS at the number one spot, she says, “Our DJs are my favorite people ever!! They have all welcomed me with open arms since I started here and have become my family away from family. I genuinely get so excited to “sell” them and brag on them to our clients. I get asked all the time who my favorite DJ is, and it makes my heart happy to not instantly think of one person because I do think & know not only are they are all exceptional at their jobs but are all also great people that I would trust with my own wedding day. Representing these guys and gals is my motivation for every event and sales consultation.”

Sarah defines hard work as going above and beyond whether you want to or not. If you only work hard at things you like to do, that is not enough in her eyes. Hard work means stepping out of your comfort zone to reach the top. The person Sarah looks up to most in life is her mom. She says, “I’m a huge family gal, but I was lucky to be raised by the sweetest and most incredible mother ever. She can be friends with anyone, is the hardest worker I know, and would go out of her way for anyone & everyone.” We are so happy that first job in Charlotte did not work out for Sarah! We appreciate all of her hard work and dedication to making SSS the best.


This & That with Sarah:

If you could meet any celebrity (living or past), who would it be and why?
FOR SURE GARTH BROOKS. I want to be his best friend so badly!!

If someone wrote a biography on you, what do you think the title would be?
Country Roads Meets City Glam

On a scale of 1 to 10, how lucky would you consider yourself in life and why?
9. Only because I never win any contests I enter or games I play...but my life, family, and friends are a solid 10 :)

What are your top 3 core values within the company?
Trust, Respect, & Openness (Ability to give your opinions & ideas without limited or being shot down constantly)

What would the closest person in your life say if I asked them, “What is one characteristic that they totally dig about you, and the one that drives them insane?”
I can get anything chaotic under control - Whether an argument or trip/event that needs planned. That also drives a lot of my friends crazy because I have to have a detailed plan for everything.

What’s your favorite 90s jam?
I know the entire choreography to Bye Bye Bye & can’t not go into full routine when it plays.

What’s your favorite 80s jam?
I Wanna Dance with Somebody - Whitney Houston. It’s my sorority song, so I remember all my fun memories when it comes on.

Favorite TV show?
The Bachelor/Bachelorette, Desperate Housewives, Nashville, Scandal, How to Get
Away with Murder, Sons of Anarchy. Really anything super dramatic & that I can binge watch when I get to relax!

Favorite movie?
Legally Blonde, Pretty Woman or Dirty Dancing

Favorite restaurant?
Rocco’s Restaurante! It’s the best small Italian family-ran restaurant back home in West Virginia that has lasagna to die for! Nothing compares.

What would your pet say about you if he/she could talk?
“Thank you for treating me like the perfect princess I am!” I have a 17 year old German Shepard & Collie mix back home, and she is my absolute favorite thing in this world!

If a genie granted you one wish, what would you wish for?
Cure for all types of cancer

What’s your favorite part of your current job at SSS?
Our office environment is one that people wish for in their career. We get our jobs done 150% but have a blast doing so and work so well together. As the gal that hardly knew anyone when I moved here, I get to not only network but build friendships with hundreds of people in this industry daily. Also, being a representative of such a well respected & known company like SSS gives me pride. Vinny is the “visionary” in our work relationship and I’m the “actionary”. It really is the perfect balance and combination to constantly be setting the bar higher & higher.

What’s your favorite event you have planned at SSS? 
My favorite event I get to plan working here are our Vendor Appreciation Parties. I’m told all the time it is what people in this industry look forward to every winter. Although we all love what we do, we do not always get to just have fun at events & not be working/stressing. Our VAPs allows 200+ industry professionals to get dressed up in costumes, eat, drink, catch up with friends, and truly have a great time. There is A LOT that goes into the planning of it, but seeing it all always come together is something I take a lot of pride in.

Pepsi or Coke?
Dr. Pepper

Chocolate or Vanilla?
Vanilla

Mountains or Beach?
BEACH! If I ever want the mountains, I can just go back home to WV. I like the
mountains & snow on Christmas Day and that is it. Other than that, give me sand, the ocean, and blazing hot weather.

Cook or Eat Out?
Cook!

Burgers or Hot Dogs?
Chicken (:

What is your personal favorite genre of music? Favorite artist(s)? Why?
Country for sure. I’m into a little of everything generally, but my go to is & always will be country. It’s the WV gal in me. Garth Brooks is my man. He is hands down my favorite artist ever. Not only is his talent unmatched, but seeing him live is life changing. He is full of energy, does two shows a night back to back, and is all about giving back, especially to his band & writers.

If you were to win the lottery tomorrow, what is the first thing you would buy?
Multiple houses to move my entire family to Charlotte with me, especially my momma!

What do you look forward to most in the future with SSS?
Continuing to be trend setters like no one has ever seen before. The creativity is never limited here. We all really vibe off each other here, so just when I think we have thought of or done it all, we even top ourselves.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DJ Feature - Chris Pounds

While all of SSS MC/DJs are exclusive, Chris Pounds is also our full-time DJ, so we are sure you have seen his face around at many of our events! When first moving to Charlotte, he DJ’d at the same club every Friday for 3 months knowing every song that would be played after the next, after the next. That situation was not allowing Chris to take his craft to the next limit, which led him to inquiring with Split Second. Although his mixing was top notch, he still completed our training process to learn how to run a wedding, master his coordination & interaction, and truly learn the SSS way and understand the SSS brand. Chris’ love for spinning started at a gymnasium party 30 years ago. He saw a friend on the turntables, began learning the fundamentals of spinning & creating music, and started his official DJ career in his early 20s. He puts high emphasis on himself on how to not just get guests on the dance floor, but keep them there all night. He pushes himself to entertain by

Vendor Spotlight of the Week - Mint Museum Uptown

  As one of the most recognized icons in Uptown Charlotte, the Mint Museum Uptown is a name all Charlotteans know and love. The convenience to all the major hotels and convention center makes it sought after by many. Their cultural and high image is unmatched whether hosting an event or touring the museum. Tom Martin serves as the Director of Special Events to oversee all rentals, venue & beverage services, and vendor management marketing. Weddings are the bread and butter of this space due to the very classic, beautiful style that eludes Charlotte history. Between the metal and glass, the contemporary look gives off an urban feel surrounded around all uptown hotels and building. Aside from weddings, The Mint Museum is also home to many large galas, fashion shows, and corporate events. Tom takes great pride in presenting his space as the excitement of the clients that want to hold their events there is very contagious. As a museum, it is a cultural backdrop that creates a

Vendor Spotlight of the Week- Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens

Located in Belmont, Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens is the perfect venue for weddings, corporate events, adult & kid birthday parties, and celebrations of any kind. The 110-acre venue has multiple themed gardens that would be a stunning backdrop for any event. The space was purchased in 1991, but did not open for wedding spaces until 2003. Since then, hundreds of couples have put their special day in DSBG’s hands for a multitude of reasons. If you have not visited the grounds, we highly encourage you to as the beauty is unreal! On top of the gorgeous backdrops, the faces behind the success of the venue are always going above and beyond for every event. The Event and Sales Coordinator Aly Bridwell works with each bride and groom to ensure their wedding day is picture-perfect. She handles it all from the inquiry to the venue tours to working with all vendors of the event. Aly’s favorite event that she has been a part of at DSBG was a memorial service. She says, “A guy’s wife passe